The IT department is making great strides to reduce its carbon footprint by migrating to a paperless environment.
We are “going green” by leveraging the use of an electronic content management (ECM) system for electronic filing of documents, encouraging our trading partners to transmit information via EDI (Electronic Data Interchange), and voluntarily recycling used computer equipment by either reselling it or donating it to local schools or charities.
Here is a partial list of ways Burris’ “Green” initiatives.
- Hardware virtualization
- Hot-aisle and cold-aisle rack layout
- Blanking panels for racks
- Brushes and/or gaskets for raised floor cut outs
- Standardized on deep cabinets to handle wiring and improve air-flow
- Spread out high density load
- Motion detectors to control lighting
- Use Energy Star rated office equipment: copiers, fax machines, monitors, PCs, laptops, etc
- Enable power management features – sleep and idle settings on monitors, thin clients, PCs, and laptops
- Disconnect battery charges when not in use
- Use double sided printing feature if you have to print
- Use recycled paper for whenever possible
- Use double-sided option when photocopying multiple pages
- Voice picking to save approximately 100,000,000 case labels annually. Cost for these is approx $.0025/ea not to mention all the trees.